J.1 English

ˇ@

A.         School-based curriculum

i.          The school collaborates with NET Section, Education Bureau to launch Primary Literacy Programme ˇV Reading / Writing (PLP-R/W) in J.1 ˇV J.2.

ii.        There would be 4 PLP-R/W lessons out of the 8 English lessons weekly.

iii.       During PLP-R/W lessons, a native English teacher, local English teacher and classroom assistant co-teach so as to ensure every pupilˇ¦s needs are addressed.

iv.      To arouse young learnersˇ¦ interest in learning English, storybooks, big books, songs & rhymes would be used.

v.        An advisory teacher from the Education Bureau would come to school periodically to co-plan the lessons and develop learning and teaching activities with teachers.

vi.      The programme aims to develop pupilsˇ¦ reading and writing skills.

vii.     Phonics would also be addressed in the programme.

viii.   The other 4 lessons would be for the General English Programme.

ix.      Grammatical knowledge would be dealt with in the GE lessons.

x.        The PLP-R/W and GE programme are well-integrated so that pupils could always revisit the items learnt during every English lesson.

 

B.         Textbooks

i.          The textbook ˇ§My Pals are Hereˇ¨ is used in the school.

 

C.         Homework

i.          Teachers would try to reduce the amount of homework to help with a better transition from kindergarten to J.1.

ii.        There are mainly Workbook (WB), Grammar Practice (GP), Grammar Weekly (GW) and worksheets (WS).

 

D.         Assessments

i.          There are formative and summative assessments.

ii.        Formative assessments aim to inform teachers about the learning progress of pupils. Marks would not be counted in exams.

iii.       A merit is offered when pupilˇ¦s average mark is more than 80%.

iv.      Summative assessments i.e. examinations would be held by the end of the terms. There are 3 examinations each academic year.

v.        Oral (10%), listening (10%), dictation (10%) would count as 30% in examinations while the other 70% would be pupilsˇ¦ performance in GE paper.

vi.      A study guide would be given to pupils before the examinations.

vii.     There are 3 spelling tests throughout the year (one per each term). Pupils would be asked to revise their word lists.

viii.   Marks of spelling tests would not be counted in examinations. A merit would be offered when pupils get 100 marks in 2 spelling tests and a certificate would be given to pupils when they get 100 marks in 3 spelling tests.

E.          Dictations

i.          There would be at most 12 dictations in J.1.

ii.        30% of each dictation would be on phonics, word recognition or fun dictation whereas the other 70% would be on sentence dictation and recite dictation.

iii.       The content would be on words and sentences pupils learnt during lessons.

iv.      A study guide would be given to pupils one week before the dictation.